Purpose Of This Blog

I am a 38 year old Cell Biologist/Microscopist. I have done basic scientific research since ~2002, starting with my PhD project in The Netherlands for 5 years and as PostDoc and Senior Scientist in Denmark for the last 10.

Ever since my PhD I've been interested in machine learning, but I used to think it was too hard for someone without any programming background. Since I didn't see any direct use for ML in my research projects I couldn't justify learning about it at work, and I didn't have/take the time to do it at home either.

About two years ago something changed. I'm not exactly sure what caused it, but I decided to learn to code. I found a fantastic website called 'freeCodeCamp.org' and proceeded to blast through the exercises and modules until about halfway through the back end development certification part. By now I had done tons of javascript algorithm exercises and created a bunch of projects (hosted on https://codepen.io/chrisdinant/) and a few small websites.

Simon Game

null

One of the projects of the freeCodeCamp front end curriculum


By now my scientific research had moved more into high-throughput automated microscopy techniques which create large amounts of data, meaning that I would have a use for ML tools at work.

So I stopped my web development training and focused on learning R and Python. Over the last year or so I have become a data science addict. I read everything I can find on anything related to data science. I take online courses on data science topics. I do Kaggle challenges. I train models on my microscopy data.

I have always known that my real passion was not science itself, or music or something else.

My passion is learning.

And I have come to the conclusion that for someone who loves analising data and learning new things all the time, DataScience is the ultimate profession.

That's why I have set my mind on becoming a data scientist.

On this blog I will post some of the things that I learn or have learned on the way to hopefully be of use to other people who are just starting to study DataScience.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaggle Tensorflow Speech Recognition Challenge

Post-Script to the Purpose of this Blog

What is Machine Learning?